THE CONSTITUTION OF THE
TABARD RUGBY FOOTBALL CLUB
The Club shall be called the TABARD RUGBY FOOTBALL CLUB. Its aims shall be to organise the playing of and to foster interest in, Rugby Football, to persons of all ages and ethnicity, in the community of Radlett and the environs, on an Amateur basis.
- Objects of the Club
- Tabard Rugby Football Club (hereafter “the Club”) will provide facilities in the form of pitches, both senior and junior, changing and showering accommodation, training areas and equipment for the playing of rugby by all ages, sex, disability and ethnicity. To encourage the sport to youngsters recognised “mini” rugby will take place and schools will be actively encouraged to join the sport.
- The Club shall be run as an amateur club with all membership fees and other monies into the club being solely used for the running and progression of the sport.
- Rules of the Club
- The Club shall be managed by an executive committee comprising sufficient members to fully represent the management requirements of the Club and will include a Chairman, Honorary Treasurer and Honorary Secretary plus applicable club officers typically as listed below, taken from the RFU “Roles and Responsibilities document”:
President, Fixtures Secretary, Social Secretary, League Secretary, Match Secretary, Membership Secretary, Bar Manager, Mini/Junior Chairperson, Community Development Officer, Press/Publicity Officer, Web Site Co-ordinators (RFU and Tabard), Child Protection Officer, Women and Girls Officers, 1st team Manager, Marketing and Sponsorship, House and Grounds, Discipline Officer and Registration officers
The Chairman, Honorary Treasurer and Honorary Secretary shall be elected officers of the Club and shall hold office for one year or until the next Annual General Meeting after one year, but its members shall be entitled to offer themselves for re-election. Other officers will be appointed by the Committee as required.
- Six members shall be the necessary quorum for the Executive Committee.
- The Executive Committee shall have the power to appoint additional members to fill any casual vacancy and at their discretion may co-opt further members provided the total of the non-elective members does not exceed one-third of the total committee.
- The Executive Committee shall meet at least once every month.
- Seven days notice shall be given to every member of the Executive Committee of meetings of the Committee.
- The Executive Committee will preside over sub-committees, who will have day-to-day responsibility for each of their nominated areas and will each be headed by a separate Chairman who will report on a monthly basis to the Executive Committee.
- The rules of the Club may be altered only by a majority of those present and entitled to vote at an Annual General Meeting or at an Extraordinary General Meeting specially convened for the purpose. Any proposed amendment to the rules shall be lodged with the Honorary Secretary in writing, signed by the proposer or proposers at least twenty eight days before the date of the Annual General Meeting. An Extraordinary General Meeting may be called at any time.
- The Club will be open to persons of all ages, sex, disability, nationality, sexuality, religion and ethnicity, without discrimination, within the community. The game of rugby may prevent full active participation for some but the club facilities will still be available.
- The Club shall consist of various categories of members, e.g. Vice President, Playing Members, Non-Playing Members, Student/Schoolboy Members and Social Members, who shall pay an annual subscription which shall be determined from time to time by a resolution at a general meeting of the Club. The subscription shall be at a level that will not preclude people from participating. The annual subscription shall be due on 1st September each year.
- Any member who has not paid his subscription by the 31st day of December in any year shall not be eligible for selection for any team and shall be liable for suspension from membership at the discretion of the Executive committee.
- Candidates for membership shall be enrolled by the appropriate club official.
- Candidates and Officials of the Club are required to have any relevant checks and documentation required for the protection of club members in “at risk” categories”.
- The Executive Committee shall from time to time appoint Vice-Presidents of the Club who shall be full members thereof.
- The Executive Committee may elect any person not being a member, to be an Honorary Member for one year from the 1st September after his election.
- The Executive Committee shall have power to suspend or expel any member for breach of these rules or for conduct detrimental to the Club and at their discretion are not obliged to state a reason
- The Admission of Guests. Members shall be allowed to introduce and entertain friends at the Club at which shall be kept a Visitors Book in which both member and friend shall sign. The introducing member shall be responsible for his guest strictly observing the Club rules and regulations. The Executive Committee shall have the authority to suspend any member who takes any undue advantage of this privilege to the detriment of the Club. Any friend whose application for membership of the Club has ever been rejected shall not at any time be introduced as a guest except with the consent of the Executive Committee. Members of other Clubs visiting the Club premises on a match day shall be regarded as guest of the Club for that day.
- The Executive Committee shall have power to elect Temporary Playing Members on such terms as they may determine for any period not exceeding three months. Every candidate for temporary membership shall be proposed by one member and seconded by another member in writing addressed to the Secretary. The proposer shall furnish the Executive Committee wish such information regarding the candidate as the Committee may require. The Executive Committee shall proceed to the election at their first meeting held after the expiration of forty-eight hours from receipt by the Secretary of such proposal and information.
- Temporary Playing Members shall pay a subscription which is in direct proportion to the annual subscription payable by members as the Executive Committee may determine, 50p being the minimum subscription.
- Temporary Playing Members shall be entitled to all the benefits and privileges of membership except that they shall not be qualified to be officers or members of the committees or to vote as members or to claim any share of the property of the Club upon its dissolution.
- A comprehensive and current list of members shall be kept by the Membership Secretary.
- Annual General Meeting and Committee
- An Annual General Meeting shall be held as soon as possible after the 30th April and at latest four weeks before the start of the new season. The Agenda of the Annual General Meeting shall include:-
- The Minutes of the previous Annual General Meeting
- Presentation of the Honorary Treasurer’s report and statement of accounts for the year ended the preceding 30th April
- The presentation of the Chairman’s report
- The election/confirmation of the Executive Committee, see 2a
- Any Other Business
- All members of the Club are entitled to notice of the Annual General Meeting to attend and vote at the same.
- At least fourteen days notice shall be given of every General Meeting of the Club.
- Additional Special General Meetings may be called at any time by the Executive Committee after appropriate notice or similarly by at least five members giving notice in writing of their intention to the Secretary stating explicitly the objects for which the Special General Meeting is required.
- Voting shall be by show of hands, unless a secret ballot is demanded by a two-thirds majority of those present and voting. The Chairman shall declare a motion or resolution carried when the majority of the members of the Club present and voting so signify. Scrutineers to be appointed by the Committee if a secret ballot is demanded
- All persons at the Annual General Meeting shall have one vote each. In any equality of votes any resolution shall be deemed lost.
- The Chairman at any meeting of the Executive Committee shall be entitled to vote and in any equality of votes he shall have an additional or casting vote.
- The quorum for any General Meeting shall be ten members.
- The Honorary Treasurer shall prepare annually the accounts and balance sheet covering the financial year ended the 30th April and shall present these at the next available Annual General Meeting. Before presentation the Honorary Treasurer will submit the accounts and balance sheet to be certified by the Honorary Auditor. The accounts will also be forwarded to the RFU or their representative for each year.
- The Executive Committee may delegate all or any of its powers to special committees which shall be responsible to the Executive Committee and shall report thereto.
- All teams to represent the Club shall be chosen by a selection committee consisting of the Captains and Vice-Captains and such other members to be elected by the Executive Committee.
- The Executive Committee shall have power to deal in any manner it may think fit with any matter not provided for in these rules until the next General meeting
- The Club Licence
- The bar officer, elected at the Annual General Meeting, to administer the bar at the Club premises, shall form a committee consisting of the bar officer, secretary, treasurer and as many other persons as is deemed necessary and this committee shall be responsible for the purchase and supply of intoxicating liquors on behalf of the Club for its members and guests.
- The Club has a “Premises Licence” under the Licensing Act 2003 and the operating schedule will be as follows
Open to the public
Monday to Thursday from 10:30 until 00:00
Friday and Saturday from 10:30 until 01:30
Sunday from 10:30 until 00:00
Except as follows:
Christmas Eve, Boxing Day, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday on Bank Holiday weekends from 10:30 to 01:30
New Year’s Eve from 10:30 to 00:00
New Year’s Day 00:00 to 00:30
Sale of alcohol
Monday to Thursday from 10:30until 23:30
Friday and Saturday from 10:30 until 01:00
Sunday from 10:30 until 23:30
Christmas Eve, Boxing Day, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday on Bank Holiday weekends from 10:30 to 01:00
New Year’s Eve from 10:30 to midnight on New Year’s Day
Monday to Thursday from 1 0:30 until 23:30
Friday and Saturday from 10:30 until 00:00
Sunday from 10:30 until 23:30
Except as follows:
Christmas Eve, Boxing Day, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday on Bank Holiday weekends from 10:30 to 00:30
- No arrangements are or are intended to be made for any person to receive at the expense of the Club any commission or similar payment on or with reference to the purchases of intoxicating liquor, or any other commodity by the Club, or for any person directly or indirectly to derive any pecuniary benefit from the supply of intoxicating liquor, or any other commodity, by or on behalf of the Club to members or guests apart from any benefit accruing to the Club as a whole.
- Assets and Income
- The income of the Club whencesoever derived shall be applied solely towards the objects of the Club without any monetary profit to members thereof.
- The property of the Club shall be vested in three members who shall be Trustees of the Club. They shall deal with the property as directed by resolution of the Executive Committee (of which an entry into the minute book shall be conclusive evidence) and they shall be indemnified against risk and expense out of the Club’s funds.
- The first Trustees shall be appointed by the Executive Committee of the Club, and every vacancy among the Trustees shall be filled at the next Annual general Meeting after the vacancy occurs by a majority vote of those present and voting. No member shall be appointed or elected a Trustee unless his consent has been previously obtained. Any Trustee may be removed from office by a resolution passed by a majority of those present and voting at an Annual General Meeting. Unless so removed every Trustee shall hold office until he resigns or ceases to be a member of the Club.
- The Club may be dissolved by a resolution passed by a majority of nine-tenths of the members present and voting at a Special General Meeting specifically convened for this purpose. Upon the passing of such a resolution, the Trustees, at the discretion of the Executive Committee, shall thereupon, or at such future date as shall be specified in such resolution, proceed to release the property of the Club, by the appointment of a liquidator if required, and after the discharge of all liability, the remaining surplus shall not be distributed among members but shall be applied to approved sporting or charitable purposes i.e. given or transferred to a CASC, a registered charity or a sports governing body.
- The Executive Committee of the Club may borrow from such bodies or persons as they think fit and upon such security as may be deemed appropriate. They may issue bonds to secure payment in any form they think appropriate and may make provision for repayment of bonds in accordance with the terms of the bonds. All monies so raised will be for the functioning and improvement of the club and facilities.
- The Executive Committee shall operate the Club bank account by the signature of any two of the following – the Honorary Secretary, the Honorary Treasurer and one other member of the Executive Committee who shall be elected by this committee.
- The Club shall carry sufficient insurance via the RFU or elsewhere to cover the members against personal injury while participating in the club activities.
- A General Meeting of the Club held on 8 June 1979.
- A Special General Meeting of the Club on 13 November 1979.
- The Annual General Meeting held on 14 June 1995.
- The Annual General Meeting held on 4th July 2002.
- The Annual General Meeting held on 16th June 2006 (Licencing 14b – now 5a)
- The EGM held on 25th January 2010 (Alteration to 16b – now 6d).
- Minor clarification by the elected members of the Club 6th March 2012 (1).
- Updated to align with the Club aims and mission statement. Paragraphs re-numbered. EGM 16 August 2012.