HAC Away



52 - 3
Tabard RFC


HAC 52 Tabard 3                                               


Tabard were up against a well organised HAC side at Armoury House, in the City of London. HAC finished second in the league last season and have lost only once this, and that to top placed Harpenden. The score line however did not reflect the difference between the two sides. Tabard were again shorn of some of their regular players but put up a valiant effort and were unlucky not to convert possession in to points. Tabard got the scoring underway with a well struck penalty from Jack Reilly after 12 minutes but these unfortunately were the only points Tabard were to collect. HAC responded with three quick tries which took the score to 19 – 3 on the half hour mark. Tabard showed great spirit to rally after these soft scores and the Tabard pack pushed their heavier opponents off their own ball at the scrum. Tabard benefited from a penalty that was kicked deep in to HAC territory. The line out however did not go Tabard’s way but they mounted another attack that sadly came to nothing after the visitors offended at the breakdown, allowing HAC to clear their lines and for their effective No 8 to pick up another try. Tabard really should have scored just before half time after Aaron Priscott had latched on to a loose ball and only a high tackle hauled him down 5 metres short of the line. Amazingly no penalty try was awarded  but Tabard mounted a good attack that was again stopped illegally resulting in the HAC tight head being shown a yellow card. Tabard opted for the scrum and forced HAC in to conceding three further penalties before Jack Reilly was held up over the line and the referee blew for half time.

 Half time saw Padraig Naughton on at full back in his second outing for the first team and he should be happy with his efforts in what was a fast and furious game. HAC picked up an early try but Tabard responded with some good play but again were unable to find a way through the home side’s defence. Tabard captain Jack Reilly left the field with what looked like a nasty cut to his mouth which brought his game to an end and added to the growing list of Tabard injuries. The attrition rate came to bear as the home side scored three late tries to stretch the score to 52 – 3.



Team: Van Loen, Girdlestone, Tilley, James, Bunning, J Calnan, Westaway, D Calnan, H Gough, Reilly, Sandison, Priscott, Hancock, Smith, Hopcroft.



Scholtz, G Gough, Naughton