Wed 08 Aug 2018 13:24

Sat 25 Nov 2017

Hackney RFC
Tabard RFC

Hackney 38 Tabard 6                                       


Tabard started brightly and shocked the hosts with some enterprising and coherent play that brought an early opportunity for captain Reilly to put points on the board after an indiscretion by the home side.

Tabard were playing some good rugby that again forced the home side in to offending but Reilly was just wide with his kick from 35 m. Tabard then set up a good attacking position after harrying the Hackney backs in to a fumble in their own 22 but the Tabard scrum were not able to capitalise and Hackney cleared their lines. Tabard were getting through a huge amount of work in defence and two tackles by centre Joe Calnan turned the ball over to Tabard. The visitors were somewhat harshly penalised for a deliberate knock on when the Tabard full back, Stevens was unlucky not to collect an interception which, if it had stuck, would have been an almost certain try. Some clever work at the line out presented Tabard with a free kick which was taken quickly. The hurried Hackney defence were again forced in to conceding a penalty which Jack Reilly slotted after 35 minutes, taking the score to 0 -6. Hackney responded with a score of their own almost from the restart. Tabard cleared their lines but gave a soft penalty away at the breakdown. Hackney took a quick tap, albeit from nothing like the mark, the ball was chipped in to Tabard’s 22 and somehow Hackney were able to score in the corner. The score moved to 5-6 and the referee blew for half time.


Tabard had enjoyed a good first half which had belonged to them however the home side were able to bring on fresh legs, while Tabard suffered as their injury count mounted. Hackney scored their second try after 8 minutes of the second half through simply passing down the line, the conversion being missed however. They crossed the line again 15 minutes later having out stripped the Tabard defence, the winger dotting down under the posts, the conversion taking the score to 17 – 6. Tabard were by no means rolling over and were able to get the ball out to winger Harry Smith. He left defenders in his wake before he collected his chip ahead which forced the home side in to conceding a penalty in their 22. This was kicked to touch but Tabard were unable to turn territory in to points.


The last 10 minutes saw Tabard reduced to 14 men through injury and Hackney taking full advantage of the extra man by running in three late tries to take the final score Hackney 38 – Tabard 6.


Team: Tilley, Hancock, Van Loen, James, Holmes, Marcus Bunning, Morgan Bunning, Priscott, Harry Gough, Reilly, Smith, Calnan, Davies, Sandison, Stevens.



George Gough, Westaway, Webber